Dubliner Cheese Recipes
Roasted Ratatouille Lasagne
For the marinara sauce:
- tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 pinch dried chilli flakes
- ½ tsp dried oregano, more to taste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch of sugar
- 1 sprig of fresh basil
For the lasagne:
- 1 medium aubergine, chopped
- 1 large courgette, chopped
- 150g button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- ½ a red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- Salt and black pepper
- oven-ready lasagne sheets
- 200g Dubliner Original Cheese, grated
For the cheese sauce:
- 25g butter
- 25g plain flour
- 600ml milk
- Salt and white pepper
- 80g Dubliner Original Cheese, grated
- First, make the marinara sauce. Heat the oil in a large shallow pan over a medium heat and add the garlic. As soon as it begins to sizzle (don’t let it colour), add the tinned tomatoes. Add the chilli flakes, oregano, salt and sugar and stir to combine.
- Place the basil, including its stem, on the surface of the sauce. Allow it to wilt, then push it under the surface. Simmer for about 15 minutes until thickened, then discard the basil.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 230°C/210˚C fan/gas mark 8. In a bowl, toss the vegetables with the olive oil, basil and oregano until well coated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the vegetables in a single layer on two baking trays. Roast for 10 minutes until the vegetables are just beginning to brown. In a large bowl, mix the vegetables with the marinara and set aside.
- For the cheese sauce, melt the butter/margarine in a medium pan. Whisk in the flour and continue to whisk for 3-4 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and gradually whisk in the milk to get a smooth sauce. Return to the heat and, stirring constantly, bring to the boil.
- Turn the heat down to a gentle simmer. Cook for 8-10 minutes and season with salt and white pepper. Stir in the Dubliner Cheese and let it melt, but don’t let the sauce boil again.
- Lower the oven to 180°C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4.
- Assemble the lasagne in a 20cm square baking dish. Spread a layer of marinara vegetables over the bottom of the dish. Arrange a layer of pasta sheets on top, trimming as necessary. Top with another layer of vegetables and some cheese sauce. Continue layering in this way up to the top of the dish, finishing with any marinara sauce left in the bottom of the bowl.
- Gently press everything down to ensure that all the pasta is coated in liquid. Top the lasagne with a layer of Dubliner Cheese.
- Wrap the baking dish in tin foil and place on a baking tray. Bake for 30 minutes until the edges are bubbling. Remove the foil and turn the oven up to 230°C/210˚C fan/gas mark 8. Bake for another five minutes until the cheese is golden brown.
- Allow the lasagne to rest for five minutes, then cut into portions and serve with a green salad.